In this post you will learn 15 ways for you to clear your tarot deck. Some are in my view questionable and you will see why later.
You need to put your energy into the cards and connect to them first.
When we bring home a set of Tarot Cards there is nothing magical about them at first. They need to be cleared or cleansed; or prepared so we can put our unique energy in them as well as connect to them. Once we do that, then the cards are ready to receive energy from us so we can use them in Tarot Divination.
There are people who don’t prepare their cards; they just take them out of the box and use them. However, most readers will want to ensure the cards are spiritually cleansed of any outside influences and have their own spiritual imprint on them. This is why we prepare them before we use them first.
15 Ways to Clear Your Tarot Deck
When people clear or cleanse their Tarot cards they are asking for assistance from positive energy and spirit or the universe to come to the aid of the reading and cards while banishing any bad energy or blockage at the same time. This ensures that the reading will be clear, clean, and as accurate as possible. The good or positive energy that the reader imparts on their Tarot deck is any good energy that the reader believes in, and you can create your own mantra to say as you do this.
The one I use is “thank you angels, spirit, spirit guides, all ascended masters and guardians of the light, can I please have the most accurate card for (persons name) for (persons question)”
Here are some of the ways people clear their cards, but you don’t have to do the, all, just one or two will suffice:
1. Invocations, Vigils, and Prayers
2. Singing, Chanting, or Music
3. Ritual Silence
4. Creating an Alter, placing statues, flowers, pictures, a glass of water, material
5. Using A Power Name (you can use one you decide for yourself)
6. Incense, Smoke cleansing (smoke cleansing is great for the whole area and yourself, I don’t like to smoke my cards though personally)
7. Special Gestures and Offerings, moving within or outside a circle, exchanging gifts, (some people may symbolically throw something down or break something)
8. Lighting Candles or Burning a Fire (as long as fire safe, but I don’t like the thought of using a flame anywhere near my cards personally)
9. Knocking on the cards three times (this is the one I use always before shuffling a deck)
10. Using Power Objects such as crystals or putting on any ritual amulets, talisman, or spiritual jewelry such as beads
11. Burying or Unburying (questionable if you wanna keep them clean and dirt free)
12. Tying or Untying
13. Washing your Hands
14. Breathing Techniques
15. Shuffling (everyone should be doing this too, as they are saying their mantra)
By doing a little ritual preparation you are invoking the good energy (whatever you consider good) to come in and assist you in your readings.
In this way, you are giving the cards a little positive charge before you begin and calling in spirit to help you.
These types of preparations do not have to be religious in nature. They can be non-denominational with whatever the reader believes to be good and positive energy to them.
Many readers also clear the space and any objects they use before they read.
The whole purpose of cleansing and clearing is to make sure your tarot cards and space is spiritually clean, free of any negative debris that accumulates.
It is like breathing fresh air spiritually on your Tarot Cards and space to ensure the best reading you can give.
Which ones do you use?